Full details released from standoff at International Paper in Fond du Lac

FOND DU LAC, Wis. (WFRV) – The Fond du Lac Police Department has released details on Tuesday’s standoff at International Paper.

According to a release, the incident started on Tuesday morning at around 10:15 a.m. when officers responded to Fleet Farm at 800 South Military Road for a man wearing camouflage clothing flashing what appeared to be a law enforcement badge while walking around the store.

Police say the individual fled on foot eastbound from the store and eventually made it to the railroad tracks where he ran southbound.

As officers and deputies from the Fond du Lac County Sheriff’s Office got into the area, they observed the individual climb up an exterior ladder on the side of the International Paper to the rooftop.

Initially, the individual stood at the edge of the roof and yelled back at law enforcement while they attempted to talk with him and build a rapport.

Officers were able to identify the individual as a 34-year-old Fond du Lac resident known to the Fond du Lac Police Department from prior contact.

The man was allegedly exhibiting bizarre and erratic behaviors, severe agitation, and threatened violence toward law enforcement. The man had also been being looked into for retail theft, criminal trespass, and other crimes.

During initial negotiations, officers worked with International Paper staff and requested that all employees shelter in place. As more law enforcement personnel arrived, they were able to assist with the evacuations.

After over six hours of negotiations, the Fond du Lac SWAT Team was activated. During the standoff, the man armed himself with improvised weapons such as a rock, metal rebar stakes, and more.

SWAT accessed the roof and deployed a less-than-lethal impact munition (40mm sponge round) and chemical munitions before taking the male into custody.

“The goal in any situation is to de-escalate and bring a peaceful resolution so that everyone is safe,” said the Fond du Lac Police Department. “Even when Officers attempt to de-escalate a situation, sometimes factors beyond the control of an Officer can result in force becoming necessary. The use of a less-than-lethal impact munition and OC chemical munitions helped resolve this high-stress encounter while reducing the risk of injury to the individual and Officers.”

The 34-year-old male was transported by the City of Fond du Lac Fire/Rescue to the hospital for further medical evaluation. 

No further details or information are being released at this time.